Monday, March 24, 2014

Pinterest making you feel inadequate?:

I stumbled across an article and I wish for the life of me I could remember where I read it. But in my search for it I found a slew of articles saying the exact same thing: Pinterest is making women feel inadequate. 

Apparently there have been polls to figure out the exact percentage. They've even coined a term for the anxiety women can get for not measuring up to "Domestic Goddess" standards: "Pinterest Stress," as it has been termed, apparently plagues about half of moms who use the site.

But here is the truth of it:

Pinterest is not making anyone feel inadequate.

YOU are letting yourself feel inadequate.

First we really need to dispense with the idea that there is a perfect woman out there who can bake professional looking cakes, maintain a perfectly organized house, find time to have an amazing bod, become a photographer, cook three square meals a day, have a home sanitized and cleaned to surgical instrument perfection, laundry is never in a heap anywhere, blogs everyday, plans stellar FHE's, homeschools all of their children, makes all their own cleaning supplies, has a career, magnifies her calling like the Hubble Telescope and still manages to maintain a happy healthy marriage and get 8 hours of sleep...etc. There is not enough time in the day:

Believe me, I know: I've looked!

No one is super mom.

Behind that beautiful cake is a kitchen covered in flour. Behind that amazing hand sewn wardrobe is a pile of clean clothes yet to be folded. Next to that healthy dinner is a pile of dirty dishes.

I think secretly we wish she was real. I think we want it to be possible to be Martha Stewart with super powers (Cape included!). Because if someone can do it, then maybe we can too!

But gals let's be honest with ourselves and each other. It ain't happening!

Something has got to give!

Pinterest is about finding inspiration! It's about fueling your creative juices. About trying new things. It's about failing and trying again. It's motivation.

Don't get yourself down because your 11 month old's toys aren't organized per the Dewey Decimal System. Don't think less of yourself because you can't take professional looking photos of your kids. Don't kick yourself for not being able to make your own back porch furniture. Don't kill yourself to make your child's 3rd birthday  an Oscar-after-party worthy event! Don't think because you have to buy your clothes because you can't sew means you are less than worthy.

There are so many things you can do. So many things you are good at! I am the person who could most obviously be overwhelmed and let down by all the glorious pins there are. I am not creative. My talents aren't as obvious as a painter's or singer's. I'm not organized or eating super healthy. But Pinterest is the place I go to try new recipes, find painting tutorials or singing advice. It's where I go when I need inspiration! When I have an idea I want to try and need direction!

Let it be a source for fun and creativity. Let it be a guide to try new things.

But DO NOT EVER let it get you down!




1 comment: