Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dear Little One: What Birthdays Mean for Mommies

(Third Birthday!)
Dear Little One, 

Today is your birthday! No doubt you are excited about the balloons, cake, waffles with sprinkles, birthday pictures and of course presents! 

For you, a birthday is a celebration of growing up! One year closer to kindergarten. One year closer to getting baptized. One year closer to high school and driving and dating. One year closer. 

(Second Birthday)
Your birthday for you is about new toys and streamers! Its about getting taller, running faster, reaching things you couldn't before, jumping higher and doing things you were once too small for.

And that is how it should be.

But let me tell you a secret I didn't learn until I had kids of my own.

A birthday for mommies is an anniversary!

(First Birthday)
 The anniversary of the first time I held you, the first time I kissed you, the first time you breathed your very first breath. It's the first time you cried. The first time you smiled. The first time and last time I became a mother of two! The time Will became a big brother. The third time I fell in love.

So while you are enjoying the celebration, I will be reflecting. I will be thinking about the day I got to meet you and hold you in my arms. About how fast you are growing! And hoping that for today, maybe it could all slow down just a little bit.

You don't remember that day. But mothers never forget. That is why no matter how big you grow, no matter what you do, you will ALWAYS be my baby.  




No comments:

Post a Comment