Thursday, March 27, 2014

Month of the Military Child:

Month of the Military Child
Some of you might not know this, but in my church there are missionary couples called to serve as just military relations missionaries. Basically their job is to make sure the military families in the church are taken care of. 

Because our records got so messed up when Clayton was in Korea, this couple had  been trying unsuccessfully to track us down for some time till finally they were able to get our address. But since they had no phone number they decided to just stop on by! Which was embarrassing since it was laundry day. But hey, we live here!
I don't know if anyone else's kids are like this, but when we have visitors all the toys come out:
"Hey look at this ball! Want to see my bike? Here is my awesome helmet. Watch me shoot a Nerf gun at your head!" 

Caden threw them for the loop when he randomly went up and hugged them mid conversation.
"You have very loving children!" They responded. 

When they left the boys followed them out the door and watched from the top of the stairs. 
"Goodbye!" They yelled.
"Bye!" the missionaries responded.
"I LOVE YOU!" Will shouted.
Pause...
"I love you too." they replied sounding slightly taken a back. 
I smiled and thought, "Hey you said it yourself, they are very loving kids."
My kids walked back into the apartment like they were on cloud nine! 

My heart was touched, because they said they loved my kids. April is the month of Military Children. I read once as I was searching for ways to help my children cope with Clayton's tour in Korea, that the impact of a deployment is just as hard on military children as parents getting a divorce. My kids aren't having to worry about us getting divorced but here they are going through something equally traumatic. Military children are different. They have to be tougher than most little kids. They have to be understanding. They have to be patient. They have to strong. But at their core they are still kids. Like all children, military children need to be loved. They need reassurance that they are important, unique and useful. And they need hear it over and over and over again. A big piece of their heart goes missing when mommy or daddy has to leave. A piece of their security. Their foundation is shaken. Some may not show it while others it is obvious.

There are so many "support our troops" and "hug an military wife" slogans. But I feel there is an entire group of little warriors who get over looked. And for them I think it is harder. They didn't choose this life. I do my best to be strong for them. To be the rock that keeps this family grounded. We make extra efforts to make sure they are emotionally healthy. But I can not tell you how touched I am when a teacher, a church leader or a complete stranger coming into our home and makes my boys feel special. It makes all the difference!

So be on the look out for those military children at school, in church and at the playground. They need extra attention, extra reassurance and extra I love you's!

For a comprehensive list on recognizing the stress of deployment I recommend this website. It breaks it down by age. An important point they emphasize is to make sure you take time for you. You need to be stable and patient and making sure you are getting enough sleep and making healthy choices will help you be there for your children. I also recommend taking on a lot less. It's ok to say no, especially when your children need you at your emotional best and that is already compromised. Most days I really have NOTHING going on. Most days I am just hanging out with my kids. Taking it easy and knowing just how far I can push it before I lose it. Because they need me, more now than probably ever!

So in honor of the military children in my life and around the globe I am hosting my first annual Month of the Military Child. If you are a parent of a military child please feel free to share a post about them! Be it how you helped them when their parent was away, tips on helping them with relocation, ways on how you helped them feel connected to a parent who was overseas, an inspiring story, resources that helped you help them...etc. Rules for this link party are simple:

1) Remember OPSEC! If you don't know what that is, be sure to take a second to educate yourself. It is a very important part of being a military spouse.

2) Only family friendly posts are allowed.

3) Posts must be about topics in regards to Military Children.

4) No promoting Etsy Shops or businesses. This is a way to connect with other military parents not to promote your business.

5) If you do link up, please be sure to visit at least three different posts and leave comments! This is just good blogging party etiquette. If you want others to read your posts be sure to also read others as well.

6) No confrontations please: Everyone's parenting styles are different. You may not agree with someone's parenting choices but that doesn't give us the right to be mean or condescending. If you can't say anything nice or constructive then don't say anything at all. We are here to support each other in our efforts to support our military children.


No comments:

Post a Comment