Monday, May 27, 2013

How to thank the Soldiers:

After my husband joined the military, it kind of forced my eyes open. I loved this country and its service men and women before, but gosh golly let me tell you how much I appreciate them now. What used to be "My-Husband-Doesn't-Have-To-Work Day" now brings me to tears. I can't say that I know exactly what these people went through. Far from it. When I think of past military wives who waited for MONTHS for a single letter, I stand in awe of their determination and strength. But what I do see and hear are the first hand accounts of the life of modern soldiers.

After my husband left for basic training, I started seeing those well known hats atop elderly gentlemen's heads everywhere I looked. I'm sure they had been there all along, I just never noticed. Now I read each one and I feel a huge sense of gratitude for those who served. What horrors did they witness? One veteran turned cab driver told me some of the most terrifying things I never thought were within the scope of human capacity. I shudder now, just thinking about them. I see these men and I look into their eyes and I can't help but wonder how they can have any hope for us, seeing what they have seen. 

One day, I decided I was done wondering. I was done letting these hats walk by me unacknowledged. And I started going up to them and thanking them personally. 

I knew I would get emotional. But I was surprised by one emotion I didn't think I would feel...inadequate! 

No experience more so than the one at the pumpkin patch last October. I turned and saw him sitting alone on a bench, a cane across his lap. His hands looked stiff. Looking lost in thought and I almost didn't want to bother him but I had made a commitment to myself and so I mustered my nerves and walked right up to him. 

"Sir, can I shake your hand?" I managed to say.
"Sure..." he said extending his hand and gripped mine with a strength I hadn't expected.

Making sure I looked him in the eyes, I said, "I need to tell you how grateful I am for all you have done for this country, my family and me." A fire seemed to come to life in those eyes and to my surprise, still holding my hand, he started to cry...

I started to cry... My mind instantly went back to the horror stories I heard from the back seat of that taxi. Was this man there? Did he see his friends die? I continued to look in his eyes, wondering what they have seen in battle and crying because this little thank you, this handshake was NOT enough!

I left that encounter feeling low. I know he had appreciated the thank you of a complete stranger but I couldn't shake it! 

Over the next few months I have been mulling it over and over in my mind. What could any of us possibly do to thank these people? How do we thank the men and women who have died in the name of our freedom? 

Finally it came to me in the form of a movie quote about this very thing:

"Don't waste it." (Saving Private Ryan) 

Be the best person you can be. 

The only way we can truly thank these soldiers, the only way we can show our gratitude, is to take advantage of it, fully! To be the best we can be, to make this country the best we can! To be proud to be Americans. To live LIFE to the fullest... and not waste the precious gift of freedom. 

This country started with a resolution signed by some of the bravest souls in history. Today, lets resolve to be better Americans, to thank those who have fought and now fight for our freedom.


...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY...


No comments:

Post a Comment